If you've ever checked out our Encyclopedia
section of the site, you'll have probably noticed that while we are quite good at listing
everything, quite a lot of the entries have a sentence or two against them.
For characters, our entries don't always explain how the character fits into the series, what we know of them from the books, what we speculate about them, or what they might look like.
So - this project will hopefully change that. Writing Jobs
We're after volunteers to take ownership of the various characters of IC's worlds - whether they have an existing entry in the encyclopedia or not - and build their page using the following categories:Description
Who is the character? Where do they appear, and in which books if they're from a series. What are some memorable quotes from them (cite references of course)?
Basically need a good paragraph or two that really lets us know who
the character is;
Example: Dragon's DescriptionAge
I realise most of this will be speculative and even open to argument. But do the best you can, quoting page references where possible.Position
Do they hold any - either official, or non-official - position of responsibility in their world? For example; Myrmidon, Rebel Leader for Aborium, etc.Talents
Which abilities do they have that make them stand out? This doesn't only apply to the Obernewtyn Chronicles, either. For example, Alyzon Whitestar has the ability to 'smell' the nature of people / their emotions.Notes
Generally I use this for research into where the name of the character came from - using any online resources available to research.
(I hope I haven't missed any headings here...)
Yes you can use the existing information about the character, if you wish. However, to get points, you'll need to change or add a good amount of your own work to it, as well.Submission Guidelines
- you can't 'claim' a character here, and then disappear for weeks. Someone else could do the character in that time. Instead, post once that you are building the character profile for X_name_X and then the date when it will be finished (give yourself a week, perhaps). When you complete it PM it to me (It'll require some formatting, so we don't want them posted straight to the Encyclopedia).
- if you don't complete it by your due date, the character goes up for grabs again. If you don't post a date, then your post will be edited + a date (a week from when you posted) added.
- only entries of quality
will be accepted and gain points. That is, entries that have been spell checked, grammar checked, and contain more than a couple of sentences. For the smaller characters it may be difficult to write extensively about their character, however do as much as you can to give us as much info as possible.
- try not to quote extensive sections of the books; rather, explain it in your own words, and leave a page/edition reference.
- only claim one character at a time. Finish your first one before claiming your next.Artwork
We're also after an image to accompany each character profile. The person who owns the written section of the profile is responsible for organising the artwork to accompany their entry. This may sound difficult, when we don't know exactly what a character looks like, and any artistic interpretation is just that - someone's interpretation of the text. To submit artwork for a character profile;
- PM the location of an existing portrait in our Gallery
Eg, for Dragon you could send in ~Link~ ~Link~
These images are great to accompany Dragon, because they show specific times in the series and help build a full profile of her character.
- upload your own image to our Gallery, and then PM the location of that. You will get the pointage that you would normally get for submitting fanart to the gallery.
- ask one of our arty members on the site to draw the character for you and submit it to our gallery. Again, they get the regular amount of points for submitting the fanart to the gallery.
All artwork will be credited where they are used with who they are by. We can't accept images from other websites (such as google image) - this needs to all be our own work. And please
remember, don't just send us random links to artworks on the site, saying it'd be good for x-character's profile page. It needs to be organised by the person who is doing the writing section of the profile! Finally...
- Pick characters that might not necessarily be main characters, but interest you. There will be less competition for them here.
- Feel free to submit characters whose section doesn't exist in the Encyclopedia yet. We'll add the category when you submit the profile.
- When you take ownership of a character's profile, try to submit artwork to accompany it.
- If you're confused about where to start, check out what is already in the Encyclopedia under the Character pages. While most are small/unfinished, some entries are larger and you'll get ideas from them.
- It might sound like we're after a lot of words, but be concise. You won't get points if you submit a 300 words document that repeats the same sentence in different ways.
- Feel free to group up to complete a character; a team of two could split the load of bigger characters - one could work on the description, the other could work on tracking down talents, where they appear in the books, and the history of their name. You'll get the points split between you, though (it's 10 points per character profile, not 10 points per person).PointagePending / to be finalised still!
We will give you 10 points for completing a character profile, to a maximum of 50 points per person per guild competition year.
So, you can submit 5 character profiles, and you'll get 50 points. If you chose to submit 10 character profiles, you won't get more points for them - you'll max out at 50 points. The next post will keep track of who has done what, and how many points they've accrued.
You will also get credited
as the creator/writer of that character page.
If you have any questions please ask; I know it looks like we're asking a lot, but this section of the site can't be expanded by one or even a couple of people. It can only be made awesome if everyone pitches in.
Elspethinnle has also been kind enough to make a signature to promote this project! Feel free to use to link people to this thread :)